Sunday, 23 February 2014

Million Women Rise

Million Women Rise is the biggest protest in Europe against violence against women. As much as we've made real progress in the past few decades, we still have problems. Don't believe me? In the United Kingdom...

  • 1/4 women will experience domestic abuse at some point in their lives
  • 2 women a week are murdered by either their current or ex partner
  • For every minute of the day there is a report of a domestic abuse incident
  • Domestic violence is the most repeated offence than any other crime
  • 5% of reported rape cases will make it to court.
  • 1/4 of women will be sexually assaulted in their adult life
  • Over 1,400 women are trafficked into the UK for sexual exploitation every year
  • 250 cases of forced marriages are reported every year
  • Over 20,000 women could be at risk of Female Genital Mutilation (FGM)
  • Nearly 90% of local authorities do NOT have a Rape Crisis Centre
  • One woman a month is murdered in the name of 'honour'


I could find more statistics on violence against women and I know I've quoted more in my blogpost about the reasons why I'm cutting off all my hair for Rape Crisis.

The march is on Saturday 8th March 2014. The suggested colour of choice to wear is red although this is not mandatory. I fully intend to attend. Will you?

If you wish to know more about Million Women Rise check out the page for more information!

Lots of love and solidarity <3

No comments:

Post a Comment