Wednesday, 11 June 2014

Remaining Inspired

There have been many points in my life where I've really struggled. I've really struggled to see a point and have lacked motivation or inspiration to continue in life and do what I love the best. There have been times when I've felt like I've always been wasting my time but something always brings me back...

...it's not a singular thing. It's usually a cluster of things that include my family & dear friends. Sometimes it'll be people I've never met, known people, whose stories or words inspire me and make me keep going. I want to share some of that today in the hopes you too will also be inspired to continue your own journey or start something great.

*********************************************************************************
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou
*********************************************************************************
"Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture the heart" - Ancient Indian Proverb
*********************************************************************************
(Discussing being targetted by the Taliban on "The Daily Show") "I started thinking about that and I used to think that the Talib would come and he would just kill me then I said 'If he comes, what would you do Malala?' Then I would reply myself, 'Malala just take a shoe and hit him' but then I said 'If you hit the Talib with your shoe then there would be no difference between you and the Talib. You must not treat others that much cruelty and that much harshly. You must fight others but through peace and through dialogue and education' then I said I'll tell him how important education is and then, 'I even want education for your children as well' and then I'll tell him 'That's all I want to tell you. Now you can do what you want.'" - Malala Yousafzai
*********************************************************************************
"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." - Anne Frank
*********************************************************************************
A Pep Talk from Kid President to You
*********************************************************************************
This one is for fans of Hellsing Ultimate. Go watch the series if you can because it is sublime (although I have got to put out trigger warnings because latter episodes show scenes of sexual assault, rape and there's a lot of violence too albeit fantastical violence.)
It's a moment that inspires because even when you think there's no possible way, there always is one.
*********************************************************************************
Interviewer: Why do you write strong female characters?
Joss Whedon: Because you're still asking me that question.
*********************************************************************************
My great-grandmother Hilda Hill. Born in the very end of the 19th century, she lived to the age of 93. During her life she left school at the age of 14 to become a nanny, married, had 11 children, lived through two world wars, became widowed with teenage children. She died in 1991 when I was mere months from turning two years old. She lived an extraordinary life full of hardships and joy yet also spent her life with a notebook & a pencil on her person in case an idea came to mind. She wrote poetry until the very end of her life. I wish I had known her for longer but I feel a part of her is within me, propelling me creatively and through the hardships of life.
*********************************************************************************
"Still I Rise" by Maya Angelou

You may write me down in history
With your bitter, twisted lies,
You may tread me in the very dirt
But still, like dust, I'll rise.

Does my sassiness upset you? 
Why are you beset with gloom? 
'Cause I walk like I've got oil wells
Pumping in my living room.

Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise.

Did you want to see me broken? 
Bowed head and lowered eyes? 
Shoulders falling down like teardrops.
Weakened by my soulful cries.

Does my haughtiness offend you? 
Don't you take it awful hard
'Cause I laugh like I've got gold mines
Diggin' in my own back yard.

You may shoot me with your words,
You may cut me with your eyes,
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I'll rise.

Does my sexiness upset you? 
Does it come as a surprise
That I dance like I've got diamonds
At the meeting of my thighs? 

Out of the huts of history's shame
I rise
Up from a past that's rooted in pain
I rise
I'm a black ocean, leaping and wide,
Welling and swelling I bear in the tide.
Leaving behind nights of terror and fear
I rise
Into a daybreak that's wondrously clear
I rise
Bringing the gifts that my ancestors gave,
I am the dream and the hope of the slave.
I rise
I rise
I rise

*********************************************************************************
It's now exactly 14 days (2 weeks) till I cut off/shave off my hair for Rape Crisis. If you feel inspired enough to donate, please do on my JustGiving page. When you get to the page, click on the black line under the total sums raised thus far. Keep following my blog as the time draws closer.

Lots of love and solidarity <3 XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment