Monday, 13 October 2014

Patriarchy in a Proverb

I came across a patriarchy proverb on Tumblr today and it summarises the insanity that is the patriarchal attitudes towards rape and women in general. It perfectly sums up the attitude I'm trying to fight against.

Don’t be slutty, don’t have sex. But be sexy. If you’re too sexy though and you get raped, then that’s you’re own fault because you’re not actually supposed to listen to us about being sexy, even though we tell you your value is derived from how sexy you are. If you get into a position of power, we will assume that you used your sex appeal to get there and not your brains and we will mock you even though we told you the only thing that mattered was your sex appeal. Make yourself accessible to me, but holy shit stop being so desperate and needy. Don’t be a tease. If we want to have sex with you, don’t friendzone us, even though we just fucking told you not to have sex.

See what I mean about lack of logic? According to them, women are supposed to be there to please guys whenever they want at the click of a finger. They have to be sexy yet not sexy, want only them but not be 'needy', have sex with them if they want it but not have sex. It boggles my mind that anyone can support the patriarchal position especially when they blame rape survivors for what happened to them because "they deserve it". According to them, I deserved what happened to me. I'm betting they wouldn't have the guts to say that to my face because they're such "brave men" that they have to hide behind a keyboard, computer monitor, computer screen and mouse.

For as long as there are people who believe in the proverb, I will continue to talk about my experiences. I will continue to raise awareness, talk about my own journey and fight to make sure that people who go through what I've gone through get justice and the disgusting monsters who do it get their just desserts under the rule of the Law.

Lots of love and solidarity <3 XXX

1 comment:

  1. Whilst I support your cause and agree with your views, I believe the proverb was written as an observational/satirical piece :)

    ReplyDelete